Saturday, March 6, 2010

Lots of news!

Here I sit with this at my feet...



Isn't he a pathetic sight? I have better pictures of him which I will upload in a minute, but because this baby boy needs to rest I thought it would be a good time to update my blog. He follows me everywhere so I have to be still if I want him to be still.

On January 2, the day we put Goldie down, Sammy came home from Petsmart with an eye infection. Now, a little over 2 months later, his eye has been removed. His infection was healing very slowly. The vet said probably because of his age (he's almost 11). Then we realized, also because of his age, he had dry eye (his tear production was 0 in his bad eye and very, very low in his good eye), which probably was the reason he wasn't healing very fast. I started noticing a blue tint in his bad eye which made me think he was going blind in that eye, and he was bumping into things around the house. Then yesterday I noticed a chunk of flesh was actually missing from the center of his eye. I took him to the vet and he said his eye was about to rupture so they removed it. It seems drastic, I know. The vet said we could go to an opthamologist but it's very expensive (between $100-$250 just to get in) and Sammy probably would have lost his eye anyway. He's been in a lot of pain since January 2 and dogs are apparently very resilient and do very well in this situation. It's also a common problem among dogs with bulging bug eyes like Boston Terriers and Shih Tzus. But I have to say, even though I'm glad he's finally really on the road to recovery it's very difficult to see him like this.





He looks worse than I expected, but only because he had dried blood all over his face. He bled during the night and they couldn't clean him up better than this because it's too tender, obviously. So he will look this bad until we are able to really clean his little face. He gets the stitches out in 14 days.

Poor Sammy. As if he didn't already have enough self-esteem issues (Tim always talks about how ugly he is, poor boy).

The good news is we adopted a Jack Russell mix yesterday and Tim is bringing her home tonight! Her name is Sugar...



We are excited about giving her a new home. I am worried about her meeting Sammy because of his condition, however, we will introduce them carefully and then probably separate them mostly for the next 2 weeks (until Sammy's stitches come out). Savannah is with her Girl Scout troop overnight tonight and Eythan is on a youth retreat with the church group so they will both be excited to see Sugar tomorrow when they get home! Hopefully that will help them deal with the sight of Sammy. :(

We love our new house. It's far enough from the city (30 min. north of Ft. Worth) that it's quiet and dark. We love it. We are having our fence put up this week which will be nice for the dogs, especially now that we have 2 again.

Last week I started a new math curriculum with Savannah and she is really enjoying it. We also did 2 science experiments, which she LOVES doing.





We are finally back in a routine after our Christmas break and then moving. Eythan was in his first track meet yesterday at his new school. He did a great job and we are so proud of him.



And this is Savannah (in the middle) leaving for camp with her Girl Scout troop this morning (only 1 night overnight).

No comments:

Post a Comment