Friday, September 4, 2009

Latch Hooking

I've always wanted to be good at sewing or cross stitch or anything like that, but I'm really bad at it all. But this week I was introduced to Latch Hooking. Savannah and I both fell in love with it immediately. So, today we went to Michael's and bought 2 kits - one for Savannah and one for me. We came home and immediately opened our kits and got to work. We put Little House on the Prairie on TV and watched while we worked. We worked for probably 2 whole episodes without stopping and she told me numerous times how much fun she was having. (You will have to pardon my piled up trash in the background of the first photo...it was time to empty it, can you tell?)









And yesterday we did our first homeschooling Science experiment. I don't know if it really qualifies as an experiment (even though it was in her lab book of experiments) because it was so easy. But I guess for third grade maybe it wasn't so easy. We picked random items from all over the house and outside and lined them up.



We listed characteristics for each item. Then we made categories and put each item into the appropriate categories. We had just learned about Taxonomy...do you know what that is? I did not. It is the branch of biology having to do with classifying living things (per her Science book). Or Wikipedia's definition is "Taxonomy is the practice and science of classification." So it was a rather tedious experiment but probably good for an 8 year old's mind.

Savannah is always saying that Math is her favorite subject. This always surprises me because she struggles with it. But she told me today that she thinks she loves it because she doesn't get it. Isn't that funny? :)

I love homeschooling so much that I wish I had started in the beginning. I LOVE spending every day with her and being the one who teaches her everything she needs to learn...education AND life skills. We start every morning with a Bible lesson. The book we use is called Building Christian Character and I love all the lessons (okay, we've only done 2 since we just finished our 2nd week, but I love them both!) We talked about Honoring God last week and this week was about Respecting Others. There are worksheets and stories to go with each subject. There's a Bible verse to memorize, too.

She actually memorizes 2 verses each week. Third grade is when they learn cursive. The handwriting/cursive workbook we use has a Bible verse for each week that she practices in cursive every day...so by the end of the week she has it memorized. Which means so do I! Double blessing!

I'm so blessed to have the opportunity to homeschool. There are so many circumstances that would change our being able to do this...things that would not have allowed me this chance and I'm so thankful it has worked out this way.

For now, I'm going to bed. :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm laughing that you've never latch hooked before Gretch! I used to do it as a kid and enjoyed it. I also used to cross stitch & just sold a huge box of stuff in our garage sale. Glad to hear you guys are having such a good time together! I can only imagine what a great teacher you are!

    ReplyDelete